Friday, August 29, 2008

Grit.

Maybe it was the Olympics. It might be certain personal situations in my life. But more than likely the inspiration for the next few words comes from pure grit within. Merriam-Webster defines grit as this: 4: firmness of mind or spirit : unyielding courage in the face of hardship or danger
I just feel strong by reading that. I saw many Olympian with grit over the past couple of weeks. When some were preparing to run, they would talk to themselves and "psych themselves out" for the race ahead. I saw one beautiful girl who was getting ready for the hurdles. She had so much concentration and was yelling and talking to herself. I thought, "man, she is going to win." The camera was stayed on her for the longest. So, they got on their marks and pressed their back foot against the starting block. The gun fired and they were off. I kept my eye on her. And what happened next was horror. At the very first hurdle that she lifted her leg to go over, she hit it with her foot. She took a nasty fall and in a matter of seconds it was over. I was completely bummed out. But I could not imagine how this girl felt. How many practices performed perfectly, the pain, effort, tears that went into preparation for The 2008 Olympics only to have stumbled on the first hurdle of the one and only chance at the gold. She had the look, she was equipped , she had the grit. Her presence at such an event told us that. But she failed. She fell short of the prize that was set before her. She was not given another chance to show her abilities again. It was over. One mistake and she was sent home.
I'm so glad that Jesus is not that way. He is a loving Father who stands at the finish line and whether we stumble or fall, holds His hands stretched towards us saying, "you can make it!"
I can. I will. I have grit.


Trials keep you Strong, Sorrows keep you on your knees, Failures keep you Humble, Success keeps you Glowing, But Only God Keeps You Going!

Blessings and much grit to you all.
God is good to me.


Grit.












*Taken by me at HLSR last year.

For a life changing experience, come to 8819 Will Clayton PKWY. Humble, TX tonight (mapquest it) (It's our church y'all) We're in Revival with Rev. Jerome Bourn. It's been incredible! I'd love to see you there.

1 comment:

The Daigles said...

You're an awesome writer. Yes, I love me some grits too.