Monday, June 16, 2008

It's Been Five Years

As she walked across her living room floor in her green knit dress and walker in hand she said, "I can't do this any more." She was fresh from her second surgery-this one, 6 hours, to remove the beast that had taken over her body. And with those words she slipped into her room from where she didn't come out again. It was 9 days in there that we all spent with her. I can still hear the oxygen machine whistling and Elvis singing gospel music in the background. My Aunt Tiggy-Mom's sister took care of her. All the calls to the Dr. and hospice and nurses and giving her pain meds -she did it. That dumb Renal Cell Carcinoma had bolted in her body like a flash of lightening. Oh how I wish she were here. No matter how many tears fall from my eyes it won't bring her back. That makes me mad. Oh, we'd still get on each other's nerves if she were here. But there's nothing like a Mother's unconditional, love -like -no- other love. I crave it so. I miss her smell-the Oscar de la Renta that she wore for years. Mom was taken from this life on Father's Day 2003.


In the midst of my grief, two things happened yesterday that I believe to be gifts for me. My middle daughter got baptized in Jesus' name. And her Daddy was the one to baptize her. He was elated!!! She's been wanting to get baptized for a while now. She received the Holy Ghost in 2006. We wanted her to understand the purpose of being baptized so we thought it best for her to wait until now. So yesterday, her sins were washed away in the lovely name of Jesus. Sweet little girl.

And also my youngest daughter lost her second tooth. They had just gotten through swimming and she was biting on her towel and her tooth came out! She was so excited about it. So were we.

I wish mom could've been here. I don't know how to end this so I'll do it with some photos. Enjoy.



Mom.












Waiting for her friend to get baptized. I love this photo.
.




B and her missing tooth.







Me and Dad.

2 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Thank God for His gifts to us. They are always perfect. I enjoyed your post. Jamie, I posted about my Dad yesterday. It has been 27 years but in many ways seems like only days. Thank God for the memories that I endeavor to keep alive. I'm glad the Lord was mindful of you in your time of sorrow. He truly is our Comforter who gives peace that passes all understanding.

The Daigles said...

What a treat to read this.

Abigail